This is a fantastic recipe that we modified from Swiss Paleo. Check out the website, she has some great recipes.
We made some modifications! Instead of medjool dates we used 16 regular dates and added some water until the bottom fudge layer was the consistency of dough.
The Bottom Fudge Layer
- 1 cup of nuts (any), today I used almonds
- 8 large medjool dates (about 225 grams), pitted–must be medjool dates, other kinds are just too dry
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 4 Tablespoons of cacoa powder
Throw it all into a food processor together and mix until a dough ball forms. Grease an 8″x8″ pan and press your dough into it. Use a spatula or a spoon because it’s a little sticky. Set your bottom layer aside while you make the coconut part.
The Coconut Layer
- 1 1/2 cups grated coconut unsweetened and finely shredded
- 2-3 Tablespoons honey (I used 2)
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- pinch of salt
Put it all in a bowl and mix it up together until well combined. Spread this over your bottom layer and use a spoon to press it down firmly.
(We went off script for this part too) Here’s what we did:
1 cup dark chocolate chips
2 tbsp coconut oil
Melt dark chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and then stir in coconut oil. Pour over top of coconut layer. Chill for a few hours and then cut into squares.